Holo Polishes and Topcoats - An Experiment

I was playing around with some holo polishes the other day and I had a thought. It happens. I wondered if I experienced how a topcoat dulls a holo or if I just read about it. I honestly couldn't remember even though I have said that they dull them. So I thought an experiment was in order. I pulled four quick dry topcoats and a few holo polishes and went to town.

The topcoats I pulled out were Seche, Orly In a Snap, Nubar Diamont and CND Air Dry (the older version). I used Seche on my index finger, Orly on my middle finger, Nubar on my ring finger and CND on my pinkie. My conclusions are pretty interesting. I got no dulling of the holo effect on any of the polishes with any of the topcoats. They were a bit cloudy when first applied but once everything was dry the holo effect was just as prominent as if I didn't put a topcoat over the polish.

Here are some photos. All of these were taken under my Ott light and I tried to get a good angle (and the same angle) to show the holo with and without a topcoat. I used Nfu-Oh Aqua Base under all of them.

GOSH Holographic without topcoat.



GOSH Holographic with topcoat.





Milani Hi-Tech without topcoat.



Milani Hi-Tech with topcoat.





China Glaze FYI without topcoat.



China Glaze FYI with topcoat.





Nfu-Oh 65 without topcoat.



Nfu-Oh 65 with topcoat.





OPI Designer Series Original without topcoat.



OPI Designer Series Original with topcoat.





China Glaze Rated Holographic without topcoat.



China Glaze Rated Holographic with topcoat.





Color Club Revvvolution without topcoat.



Color Club Revvvolution with topcoat.





So there you have it. Thoughts? Opinions?

4 comments

jbrobeck August 22, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I did notice a difference when I topcoated chainmail charm... and i always tc the ds with diamont, and with whatever with the milanis... i am on the fence about this one! i still won't tc my OMG's, but i would tc my kaliescopes... funny how the brain rationalizes things isn't it?

zygzak August 22, 2010 at 1:39 PM

i have seen a difference once, with opi extravagant.

Laura @ Sawan-Heaven August 22, 2010 at 3:27 PM

OPIs Extravagance was the only one that was altered with me as well. The color just coated over the holo effect when I put a top coat on, even a few days later just to try and smooth the finish out.

LB August 23, 2010 at 5:01 AM

JB - It is interesting but I wonder where the no topcoat thing came from? I had no issues and even I said no topcoat. Makes you wonder - well it makes me wonder.

Hmm, that is two for OPI Extravagance. I'm going to pull that one and see what happens.

Post a Comment